The Way of the Cross Chaplet

This Chaplet is a way of meditating on the Way of the Cross. On it, there are 15 groups of 3 beads each, between which are medals representing the Stations of the Cross. An additional 6 beads are added as well as a Crucifix.

This chaplet of the Way of the Cross was granted to Vincentian Order by Popes Pius IX and X. Later it was withdrawn by the Holy Office (1912), since the indulgences can be gained by using the crucifix alone. It is somewhat of a misnomer to call this a rosary. To the sick and to others who cannot go to a church to make the Way of the Cross the Holy See has given the privilege of gaining the indulgences attached to the Way of the Cross by holding in their hand a specially indulged crucifix and saying the prescribed prayers.


HOW TO PRAY:
On the Crucifix say the Apostle's Creed.

On each of the following six beads:
  1. An Act of Contrition.
  2. Prayer to Jesus Christ Crucified:
    Behold, O kind and most sweet Jesus, I cast myself on my knees in Your sight and with the most fervent desire of my soul I pray and beg You to impress upon my heart lively sentiments of faith, hope and charity, with true repentance for my sins, and a firm desire of amendment, while with deep affection and grief of soul I ponder within myself and mentally contemplate Your five most precious wounds: having before my eyes that which David spoke in prophecy: "They have pierced My hands and My feet; they have numbered all My bones."
  3. "Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them; and may all the souls of the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen"
  4. Our Father
  5. Hail Mary
  6. Glory be

Prior to each group of 3 beads, say the following prayer,
"We adore You, O Christ, and we bless You because by Your Holy Cross You have redeemed the World."

Pray an Our Father on the first bead, a Hail Mary on the second bead, and a Glory Be on the third bead of each group, while meditating on the particular station.
These are:
  1. Jesus is condemned to death.
  2. Jesus is made to bear His Cross.
  3. Jesus Falls the First Time.
  4. Jesus is met by His Blessed Mother.
  5. The cross is laid on Simon of Cyrene.
  6. Veronica wipes the face of Jesus.
  7. Jesus falls the second time.
  8. Jesus speaks to the women of Jerusalem.
  9. Jesus falls the third time.
  10. Jesus is stripped and receives gall to drink.
  11. Jesus is nailed to the cross.
  12. Jesus dies on the cross.
  13. Jesus is taken down from the cross.
  14. Jesus is laid in the sepulcher.

After all of the stations, it is traditional to recite a series of 5 Our Fathers, Hail Marys, and Glory Be's in honor of the 5 wounds of Christ.

To end the chaplet:
Jesus! For Thee I live.
Jesus! For Thee I die.
Jesus! I am Thine in life and death.





1 comment:

  1. Thankyou for posting the chaplet of the stations of the cross.This is a POWERFUL prayewr.GOD'BLESSINGS. GINO

    ReplyDelete